城市西川 译

The City埃德蒙·基利, Philip Sherrard 译


你说:“我要去另一块土地,我将去另一片大海。
You said: “I’ll go to another country, go to another shore,
另一座城市,比这更好的城市,将被发现。
find another city better than this one.
我的每一项努力都是对命运的谴责;
Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong
而我的心被埋葬了,像一具尸体。
and my heart lies buried like something dead.
在这座荒原上,我的神思还要坚持多久?
How long can I let my mind moulder in this place?
无论我的脸朝向哪里,无论我的视线投向何方,
Wherever I turn, wherever I look,
我在此看到的尽是我生命的黑色废墟。
I see the black ruins of my life, here,
多年以来,我在此毁灭自己,虚掷自己。”
where I’ve spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally.”

你会发现没有新的土地,你会发现没有别的大海。
You won’t find a new country, won’t find another shore.
这城市将尾随着你,你游荡的街道
This city will always pursue you.
将一仍其旧,你老去,周围将是同样的邻居;
You’ll walk the same streets, grow old
这些房屋也将一仍其旧,你将在其中白发丛生。
in the same neighborhoods, turn gray in these same houses.
你将到达的永远是同一座城市,别指望还有他乡。
You’ll always end up in this city. Don’t hope for things elsewhere:
没有渡载你的船,没有供你行走的道路,
there’s no ship for you, there’s no road.
你既已毁掉你的生活,在这小小的角落,
Now that you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner,
你便已经毁掉了它,在整个世界。
you’ve destroyed it everywhere in the world.


添加译本