银杏,杨树,针栎,香枫,鹅掌楸:
Ginkgo, cottonwood, pin oak, sweet gum, tulip tree:
我们的情绪像叶子生长
our emotions resemble leaves and alive
按照我们滋养的形状
to their shapes we are nourished.
你是否感觉到忧伤沿着一棵高大的挪威枫
Have you felt the expanse and contours of grief
的边缘伸展出轮廓?
along the edges of a big Norway maple?
你是否曾在橙色的闪光
Have you winced at the orange flare
烧焦一株山茱萸卷曲的线条时畏缩?
searing the curves of a curling dogwood?
我曾在空中看到被砍伐的岛屿,
I have seen from the air logged islands,
每一个都有砂石路形成枝杈网络,
each with a network of branching gravel roads,
还有某个时刻感到纯粹的愤怒,山杨黄。
and felt a moment of pure anger, aspen gold.
我看见沙丘鹤在开阔之地移动,
I have seen sandhill cranes moving in an open field,
鹤群中唯有一只白色的高声鸣叫。
a single white whooping crane in the flock.
我也曾在无名的叶子边缘旅行,
And I have traveled along the contours
此处
of leaves that have no name. Here
空气潮湿,光芒冷酷。
where the air is wet and the light is cool,
我感知别人未曾说出口的想法,
I feel what others are thinking and do not speak,
我知道一棵糖枫叶脉里的喜悦,
I know pleasure in the veins of a sugar maple,
我活在一片新叶的边上。
I am living at the edge of a new leaf.