The Letters丁尼生

信札黄杲炘 译


Still on the tower stood the vane,
风向标静止在塔楼顶上,
A black yew gloom'd the stagnant air;
黑紫衫遮暗凝滞的空气;
I peer'd athwart the chancel pane
透过圣坛后的玻璃一望,
And saw the altar cold and bare.
我看到祭坛前冷清空寂。
A clog of lead was round my feet,
铅块像是绑上了我的脚,
A band of pain across my brow;
我整个头颅一阵阵剧痛;
'Cold altar, heaven and earth shall meet
“冷冷的祭坛哪,在你听到
Before you hear my marriage vow.'
我的婚誓前,天地将合拢。”

I turn'd and humm'd a bitter song
我转脸哼一支苦涩小曲,
That mock'd the wholesome human heart,
它嘲笑的是人心的宽厚;
And then we met in wrath and wrong,
接着我们在怨毒中相遇,
We met, but only meant to part.
而相遇只是意味着分手。
Full cold my greeting was and dry;
我的问候话冷淡而干涩;
She faintly smiled, she hardly moved;
她似笑非笑,没怎么动弹;
I saw with half-unconscious eye
她穿着我所赞同的颜色,
She wore the colors I approved.
可对此我似乎视而未见。

She took the little ivory chest,
她把小小象牙匣拿在手,
With half a sigh she turn'd the key,
微微叹口气扭动了钥匙,
Then raised her head with lips comprest,
然后抿紧着嘴唇抬起头,
And gave my letters back to me;
将我那些信还到我手里。
And gave the trinkets and the rings,
又还我指环等等小饰品,
My gifts, when gifts of mine could please.
这些曾使她快活的礼物——
As looks a father on the things
如今我看着它们的神情,
Of his dead son, I look'd on these.
像父亲看着儿子的遗物。

She told me all her friends had said;
她讲到她朋友们的言辞,
I raged against the public liar;
那流言蜚语快把我气疯;
She talk'd as if her love were dead,
说话中她似乎爱心已死,
But in my words were seeds of fire.
而我的话中却有着火种。
'No more of love, your sex is known;
“还谈什么爱,这就是女人;
I never will be twice deceived.
这种当我再不上第二回。
Henceforth I trust the man alone,
从今后我只能信任男人,
The woman cannot be believed.
决不能再信任女流之辈。

'Thro' slander, meanest spawn of hell, —
“谣言是地狱最贱的产物,
And women's slander is the worst, —
而女人的造谣最最凶狠,
And you, whom once I loved so well,
我爱你爱得是那样专注,
Thro' you my life will be accurst.'
可谣言和你将毁我一生。”
I spoke with heart and heat and force,
我那激动激烈的心里话
I shook her breast with vague alarms —
隐隐使她惊恐的心乱跳——
Like torrents from a mountain source
像两股急流从山上冲下,
We rush'd into each other's arms.
我们扑进了对方的怀抱。

We parted; sweetly gleam'd the stars,
我们分别时星星在闪烁,
And sweet the vapor-braided blue;
烟雾缭绕的蓝天有多美;
Low breezes fann'd the belfry bars,
我从教堂边朝着家中走,
As homeward by the church I drew.
微风把钟楼栅栏轻轻吹。
The very graves appear'd to smile,
连一个个墓仿佛都在笑,
So fresh they rose in shadow'd swells;
起伏在阴影中显得清新;
'Dark porch,' I said, 'and silent aisle,
“幽暗的门廊、寂静的通道,”
There comes a sound of marriage bells.'
我说,“传来了婚礼的钟声。”


添加译本