先生,你看到这匕首了?别怕,你不必闪避。
Sir, do you see this dagger? nay, why do you start aside?
我是 那恶棍的新娘,但不会用它来扎你。
I was not going to stab you, tho' I am the Bandit's bride.
你出了赏格要他头;我是来领赏,不骗你。
You have set a price on his head: I may claim it without a lie.
这块布包的是什么?我马上给你看仔细。
What have I here in the cloth? I will show it you by-and-by.
先生,我曾经嫁过人,但幸福的夏天一过,
Sir, I was once a wife. I had one brief summer of bliss.
这求爱不成的恶棍,用这个捅死彼埃罗。
But the Bandit had woo'd me in vain, and he stabb'd my Piero with this.
他把我拖进他山洞;有一天他急忙出去,
And he dragg'd me up there to his cave in the mountain, and there one day
这匕首没带在身上。我见了便另外藏起。
He had left his dagger behind him. I found it. I hid it away.
他欠着彼埃罗的血债,他的吻含着重罪。
For he reek'd with the blood of Piero; his kisses were red with his crime,
听到我复仇的呼吁,天使们等待着机会。
And I cried to the Saints to avenge me. They heard, they bided their time.
我替他生下个儿子,这孩子他爱逗着玩,
In a while I bore him a son, and he loved to dandle the child,
这成了我们纽带,但他这笔帐我能不算?
And that was a link between us; but I — to be reconciled? —
凭圣母之名,不行;对他的恨虽有所减退——
No, by the Mother of God, tho' I think I hated him less,
但若说我昨夜造了孽,我愿找神父忏悔。
And — well, if I sinn'd last night, I will find the Priest and confess.
听我说!昨天傍晚时,山谷里就我们三人。
Listen! we three were alone in the dell at the close of the day.
我正朝宝宝唱着歌,他笑得像五月清晨。
I was lilting a song to the babe, and it laugh'd like a dawn in May.
这时候,我们看见你们的兵在翻过山脊,
Then on a sudden we saw your soldiers crossing the ridge,
他一把抢过小宝宝,我们钻进了桥洞里——
And he caught my little one from me: we dipt down under the bridge
桥傍着枯死大松树,你知道。我们蹲着听,
By the great dead pine — you know it — and heard as we crouch'd below,
听你们说话和走动,听武器碰擦的声音。
The clatter of arms, and voices, and men passing to and fro.
我们爬走时夜漆黑,天上更没有一颗星;
Black was the night when we crept away — not a star in the sky —
静得像坟墓的深处,可这时宝宝哭出声。
Hush'd as the heart of the grave, till the little one utter'd a cry.
我悄声说“把宝宝给我”,但他没有答理,
I whisper'd 'give it to me,' but he would not answer me — then
却猛地卡宝宝的喉咙,宝宝就此没声息。
He gript it so hard by the throat that the boy never cried again.
回山洞时纽带已断;他哽哽咽咽淌着泪,
We return'd to his cave — the link was broken — he sobb'd and he wept,
咒了自己便打哈欠,这坏蛋竟倒头就睡,
And cursed himself; then he yawn'd, for the wretch could sleep, and he slept
直睡到曙色进山洞,一道血一样红的光
Ay, till dawn stole into the cave, and a ray red as blood
照上憋死的脸蛋(我真能变睡眠为死亡),
Glanced on the strangled face — I could make Sleep Death, if I would —
照亮这被害的儿子和熟睡的凶手父亲……
Glared on at the murder'd son, and the murderous father at rest, ...
我操起他那件凶器,三次扎穿了他的心。
I drove the blade that had slain my husband thrice thro' his breast.
他拴着的狗倒还爱他,发出吓人的吠叫
He was loved at least by his dog: it was chain'd, but its horrible yell
“她杀了他,杀了他,杀了他”响彻整个山坳——
'She has kill'd him, has kill'd him, has kill'd him' rang out all down thro' the dell,
听得我耳聋目眩,差一点给自己来一刀——
Till I felt I could end myself too with the dagger — so deafen'd and dazed —
收去吧,免得我自杀!我的心像在被撕咬,
Take it, and save me from it! I fled. I was all but crazed
手里的东西也很沉,我发了疯似地奔逃;
With the grief that gnaw'd at my heart, and the weight that dragg'd at my hand;
感谢升天的圣徒,他那帮人一个没碰到。
But thanks to the Blessed Saints that I came on none of his band;
凶悍的头子死掉了,这帮人免不了分手;
And the band will be scatter'd now their gallant captain is dead,
我就用他这匕首——你不信?这里是他的头。
For I with this dagger of his — do you doubt me? Here is his head!