Sir, do you see this dagger? nay, why do you start aside?
先生,你看到这匕首了?别怕,你不必闪避。
I was not going to stab you, tho' I am the Bandit's bride.
我是 那恶棍的新娘,但不会用它来扎你。
You have set a price on his head: I may claim it without a lie.
你出了赏格要他头;我是来领赏,不骗你。
What have I here in the cloth? I will show it you by-and-by.
这块布包的是什么?我马上给你看仔细。
Sir, I was once a wife. I had one brief summer of bliss.
先生,我曾经嫁过人,但幸福的夏天一过,
But the Bandit had woo'd me in vain, and he stabb'd my Piero with this.
这求爱不成的恶棍,用这个捅死彼埃罗。
And he dragg'd me up there to his cave in the mountain, and there one day
他把我拖进他山洞;有一天他急忙出去,
He had left his dagger behind him. I found it. I hid it away.
这匕首没带在身上。我见了便另外藏起。
For he reek'd with the blood of Piero; his kisses were red with his crime,
他欠着彼埃罗的血债,他的吻含着重罪。
And I cried to the Saints to avenge me. They heard, they bided their time.
听到我复仇的呼吁,天使们等待着机会。
In a while I bore him a son, and he loved to dandle the child,
我替他生下个儿子,这孩子他爱逗着玩,
And that was a link between us; but I — to be reconciled? —
这成了我们纽带,但他这笔帐我能不算?
No, by the Mother of God, tho' I think I hated him less,
凭圣母之名,不行;对他的恨虽有所减退——
And — well, if I sinn'd last night, I will find the Priest and confess.
但若说我昨夜造了孽,我愿找神父忏悔。
Listen! we three were alone in the dell at the close of the day.
听我说!昨天傍晚时,山谷里就我们三人。
I was lilting a song to the babe, and it laugh'd like a dawn in May.
我正朝宝宝唱着歌,他笑得像五月清晨。
Then on a sudden we saw your soldiers crossing the ridge,
这时候,我们看见你们的兵在翻过山脊,
And he caught my little one from me: we dipt down under the bridge
他一把抢过小宝宝,我们钻进了桥洞里——
By the great dead pine — you know it — and heard as we crouch'd below,
桥傍着枯死大松树,你知道。我们蹲着听,
The clatter of arms, and voices, and men passing to and fro.
听你们说话和走动,听武器碰擦的声音。
Black was the night when we crept away — not a star in the sky —
我们爬走时夜漆黑,天上更没有一颗星;
Hush'd as the heart of the grave, till the little one utter'd a cry.
静得像坟墓的深处,可这时宝宝哭出声。
I whisper'd 'give it to me,' but he would not answer me — then
我悄声说“把宝宝给我”,但他没有答理,
He gript it so hard by the throat that the boy never cried again.
却猛地卡宝宝的喉咙,宝宝就此没声息。
We return'd to his cave — the link was broken — he sobb'd and he wept,
回山洞时纽带已断;他哽哽咽咽淌着泪,
And cursed himself; then he yawn'd, for the wretch could sleep, and he slept
咒了自己便打哈欠,这坏蛋竟倒头就睡,
Ay, till dawn stole into the cave, and a ray red as blood
直睡到曙色进山洞,一道血一样红的光
Glanced on the strangled face — I could make Sleep Death, if I would —
照上憋死的脸蛋(我真能变睡眠为死亡),
Glared on at the murder'd son, and the murderous father at rest, ...
照亮这被害的儿子和熟睡的凶手父亲……
I drove the blade that had slain my husband thrice thro' his breast.
我操起他那件凶器,三次扎穿了他的心。
He was loved at least by his dog: it was chain'd, but its horrible yell
他拴着的狗倒还爱他,发出吓人的吠叫
'She has kill'd him, has kill'd him, has kill'd him' rang out all down thro' the dell,
“她杀了他,杀了他,杀了他”响彻整个山坳——
Till I felt I could end myself too with the dagger — so deafen'd and dazed —
听得我耳聋目眩,差一点给自己来一刀——
Take it, and save me from it! I fled. I was all but crazed
收去吧,免得我自杀!我的心像在被撕咬,
With the grief that gnaw'd at my heart, and the weight that dragg'd at my hand;
手里的东西也很沉,我发了疯似地奔逃;
But thanks to the Blessed Saints that I came on none of his band;
感谢升天的圣徒,他那帮人一个没碰到。
And the band will be scatter'd now their gallant captain is dead,
凶悍的头子死掉了,这帮人免不了分手;
For I with this dagger of his — do you doubt me? Here is his head!
我就用他这匕首——你不信?这里是他的头。