当我们穿越草地,草割痛了
The grass cuts our feet as we wend our way
我们的脚--你,才十三岁
Across the meadow-you, a child of thirteen
穿着男人的制服,太大,这是象征,
In a man's business suit far too big for you
说明我们在一起已有多少年。
A symbol of how long we have been together.
我采草莓,放在铁皮罐中,
I pick the berries for us to eat
搁在树桩上,算一顿晚餐,
Into a tin can and set it on a stump.
夜晚或早或迟总要来临,
Soon or late, lateness comes.
而群鸦飞起,遮满了西天。
Crows come up out of the west.
我要你查看这禁闭我们的
I want you to examine this solid block of darkness
结实的黑夜,但你说,不。
In which we are imprisoned. But you say, No,
你太疲倦,翻身就睡着。
You are tired. You turn over and sleep.
我也睡,梦中我听见马把你带走。
And I sleep, but in my sleep I hear horses carrying you away.
当微风停歇,又是一个
When the breeze is finished it is morning
早晨。醒来吧,是动身,
Again. Wake up. It is time to start walking
走进天庭荒野的时候。今晨,陌生人
Into the heavenly wilderness. This morning, strangers
给我们吃的,我们这么远走来使他们惊骇。
Come down to the road to feed us. They are afraid to have us come so far.
又是夜,但今夜有所不同,
Thou by the Indian Ganges’ side
你走路时脚好像没有碰弯
Night comes, but this time it is a different one.
草叶;你对我十分信赖;
Your feet scarcely seem to touch the grass
飞蛾碰撞我白炽的前额。
As you walk; you have confidence in me;
Moths bump my incandescent head
风声呼啸。就这样下去。总有一天
我们会醒来,因为我们从高崖
And I hear the wind. And so it goes. Some day
跌入了这白色的、宝贵的夜空。
We will wake up, having fallen in the night
你会说:“你和我,我们曾如此生活。”
From a high cliff into the white, precious sky.
You will say, 'That is how we lived, you and I.'