芦苇,
Reed,
被劈砍、撕扯断裂
slashed and torn
却愈发丰饶——
but doubly rich—
如你这般硕大不朽的头茎
such great heads as yours
萦绕在圣殿台阶之上,
drift upon temple-steps,
但你却在风中
but you are shattered
骨化形销
in the wind.
桃金娘的树皮上
Myrtle-bark
布满由你造成的斑点
is flecked from you,
树鳞也从你的枝条上
scales are dashed
分崩离析
from your stem,
娇媚的花瓣折损于砂砾
sand cuts your petal,
以坚硬的边刃犁出沟痕,
furrows it with hard edge,
一如星火滑落的燧石
like flint
蜿蜒的划痕
on a bright stone.
然而即便这场烈风
Yet though the whole wind
鞭笞着你的外皮
slash at your bark,
你仍旧高抬硕大不朽的身躯
you are lifted up,
没错——尽管这一切嘶号着
aye—though it hiss
要将你用泡沫彻底掩埋!
to cover you with froth.