我是一个熟悉了黑夜的人。
I have been one acquainted with the night.
我曾在雨中出行,雨中返程,
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain.
我走出过城市最远的光痕。
I have outwalked the furthest city light.
我俯察过城市最忧郁的小径。
I have looked down the saddest city lane.
我走过了敲着钟的守夜人,
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
并垂下眼帘,不愿去澄清。
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.
远处一声被打断的疾呼
I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
从临街传来,越过屋檐,
When far away an interrupted cry
我静静站定让足音停住,
Came over houses from another street,
但并非唤我回去或说再见;
But not to call me back or say good-bye;
在更远处超出尘世的高处,
And further still at an unearthly height,
一座闪耀的钟直指着苍天,
One luminary clock against the sky
宣布时间没有正确与错误。
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
我是一个熟悉了黑夜的人。
I have been one acquainted with the night.