任何以“说实话……”开始说话的人
Anyone who begins a sentence with, “In all honesty ... ”
都将要撒谎。任何人说“这只是我的感觉”,
is about to tell a lie. Anyone who says, “This is how I feel”
更爱形式而不是披露的内容。这对谁都一样,
had better love form more than disclosure. Same for anyone
假若他自以为有一个想法就是考虑得很周全。
who thinks he thinks well because he had athought.
对一个长相丑怪的人说“你很丑”,你不会
If you say, “You’re ugly” to an ugly person — no credit
因为诚实而人品加分,这是始终该有的认识,
for honesty, which must always be a discovery, an act
这行为算得上是一项成就。假若你铁了心那样做,
that qualifies as an achievement. If you persist
你就是个没心肝的混蛋,一头不照镜子的猪,
you’re just a cruel bastard, a pig without a mirror,
算是一个太缺少自我审视的人。
somebody who hasn’t examined himself enough.
想要诚实时觉得犹豫,这是暗示
A hesitation hints at an attempt to be honest, suggests
这里有难处。说好一句话需要
a difficulty is present. A good sentence needs
一两个从句,要打断,用逗号隔开,
a clause or two, interruptions, set off by commas,
这是证据,说明在放缓,在重新思考。
evidence of a slowing down, a rethinking.
我向妻子求婚之前,我告诉她
Before I asked my wife to marry me, I told her
我永远不会完全坦诚。她说,从没有人
I’d never be fully honest. No one, she said,
对她说过这样的话。我对她讲,
had ever said that to her. I was trying
我在尝试极端诚实,但事实上我还有
to be radically honest, I said, but in fact
另一个动机。任何不带“但是”的声索
had another motive. A claim without a “but” in it
充其量只有一半真实。说实话,
is, at best, only half true. In all honesty,
我那是在事先就要求获得原谅。
I was asking in advance to be forgiven.
[按]题目Proposition的意思包含“命题”、“提议”、“求婚”等都适合本诗的意思。