我把一只箭射得很高,
I shot an arrow into the air,
它落到了哪里我不知道;
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
因为它的速度太快,
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
我的眼睛追不上它。
Could not follow it in its flight.
我唱起一支歌儿在空气中荡飘,
I breathed a song into the air,
它落到了哪里我不知道;
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
因为谁的眼力会有那么强,
For who has sight so keen and strong,
能追上歌儿的飞翔?
That it can follow the flight of song?
好久好久以后,我看见
Long, long afterward, in an oak
在一棵橡树上嵌着那只完好的箭;
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
我也发现了那个歌子,
And the song, from beginning to end,
它完整地留在一个朋友的心里。
I found again in the heart of a friend.