白昼与黑夜之间,
Between the dark and the daylight,
当天色开始昏沉,
When the night is beginning to lower,
有一次工间休息,
Comes a pause in the day's occupations,
那是孩子的时辰。
That is known as the Children's Hour.
我听见楼上卧室里
I hear in the chamber above me
脚步声又碎又轻,
The patter of little feet,
门儿打开的响动,
The sound of a door that is opened,
柔和甜蜜的嗓音。
And voices soft and sweet.
我凭着灯光看到
From my study I see in the lamplight,
她们沿楼梯走下:
Descending the broad hall stair,
艾蕾笑,艾莉端庄,
Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra,
小艾荻满头金发。
And Edith with golden hair.
耳语,然后是静默;
A whisper, and then a silence:
从那种眼神,我猜到
Yet I know by their merry eyes
她们正在耍花招,
They are plotting and planning together
想要吓我一大跳。
To take me by surprise.
楼梯上发起冲锋,
A sudden rush from the stairway,
厅堂里大举进攻!
A sudden raid from the hall!
从三个不设防的门口
By three doors left unguarded
闯入我的城堡中!
They enter my castle wall!
她们爬上了制高点——
They climb up into my turret
椅子扶手和靠背;
O'er the arms and back of my chair;
我想逃,可是逃不掉,
If I try to escape, they surround me;
四面八方被包围!
They seem to be everywhere.
她们抱住我狂吻,
They almost devour me with kisses,
险些儿把我吞掉;
Their arms about me entwine,
我想起莱茵河上
Till I think of the Bishop of Bingen
鼠塔的宾根主教!
In his Mouse-Tower on the Rhine!
强盗们!且慢吹牛,
Do you think, O blue-eyed banditti,
说你们攻上了城头,
Because you have scaled the wall,
说我这样的老兵
Such an old mustache as I am
也不是你们的对手;
Is not a match for you all!
我很快抓住了你们,
I have you fast in my fortress,
再不让你们逃跑;
And will not let you depart,
还把你们关进了
But put you down into the dungeon
我心房深处的监牢。
In the round-tower of my heart.
你们关在这牢里,
And there will I keep you forever,
永远永远逃不出,
Yes, forever and a day,
直到牢墙塌下来,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
变成瓦砾和尘土!
And moulder in dust away!