When I compare
当我对比
What I have lost with what I have gained,
我所获得与我所失掉,
What I have missed with what attained,
我所错过与我所达到,
Little room do I find for pride.
发现没有什么可夸耀。
I am aware
我已察觉
How many days have been idly spent;
无端虚掷了多少时光;
How like an arrow the good intent
美好的意愿就像一支箭,
Has fallen short or been turned aside.
半途落下了,或飞向一旁。
But who shall dare
可是谁敢
To measure loss and gain in this wise?
用这种方式来衡量得失?
Defeat may be victory in disguise;
失败可能是变相的胜利,
The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide.
最低潮就是高潮的开始。