榆树张芬龄 译

Elm西尔维娅·普拉斯(希薇亚·普拉斯)

For Ruth Fainlight


我知道底部,她说。我用巨大的主根探知:
I know the bottom, she says. I know it with my great tap root.
这正是你所畏惧的。
It is what you fear.
但我并不怕:我曾到过那里。
I do not fear it: I have been there.

你从我身上听到的可是海声,
Is it the sea you hear in me,
它的不满?
Its dissatisfactions?
或者是空无的声音,那是你的疯狂?
Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?

爱是一抹阴影。
Love is a shadow.
你在它的背后躺卧呼喊。
How you lie and cry after it.
听:这是蹄音:它远离了,像一匹马。
Listen: these are its hooves: it has gone off, like a horse.

整个晚上我将如是奔驰,狂烈地,
All night I shall gallop thus, impetuously,
直把你的头跑成石块,你的枕成一方小小的赛马场,
Till your head is a stone, your pillow a little turf,
回响,回响。
Echoing, echoing.

或者要我带给你毒药的响声?
Or shall I bring you the sound of poisons?
下雨了,这硕大的寂静。
This is rain now, this big hush.
而这是它的果实:锡白,如砷。
And this is the fruit of it: tin-white, like arsenic.

我饱尝落日的暴行。
I have suffered the atrocity of sunsets.
焦灼直达根部
Scorched to the root
我红色的灯丝烧断而仍坚持着,一团铁丝。
My red filaments burn and stand, a hand of wires.

现在我分解成碎片,棍棒般四处飞散。
Now I break up in pieces that fly about like clubs.
如此猛烈的狂风
A wind of such violence
绝不能忍受他人的旁观;我得嘶喊。
Will tolerate no bystanding: I must shriek.

月亮也同样的无情:总是残酷地
The moon, also, is merciless: she would drag me
拖曳着我,我已不能生育。
Cruelly, being barren.
她的强光刺伤了我。或许是我绊住了她。
Her radiance scathes me. Or perhaps I have caught her.

我放她走。我放她走。
I let her go. I let her go
萎缩而扁平,像经历了剧烈的手术。
Diminished and flat, as after radical surgery.
你的恶梦如是地攫取占有我。
How your bad dreams possess and endow me.

哭喊在我身上定居。
I am inhabited by a cry.
每晚鼓翼而出
Nightly it flaps out
用它的钓钩,去寻找值得爱的事物。
Looking, with its hooks, for something to love.

我被这黑暗的东西吓坏了
I am terrified by this dark thing
它就躺在我的体内。
That sleeps in me;
我整天都能感觉到它轻柔如羽的翻动,它的憎恶。
All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.

云朵飘散而过。
Clouds pass and disperse.
那些是爱的面庞吗,那些苍白、不可复得的?
Are those the faces of love, those pale irretrievables?
我就是因为这些而乱了心绪吗?
Is it for such I agitate my heart?

我无法进一步知晓。
I am incapable of more knowledge.
这是什么,这张脸
What is this, this face
如是凶残地扼杀枝干?──
So murderous in its strangle of branches?—

它蛇阴的酸液嘶嘶作响。
Its snaky acids kiss.
麻木了意志。这些是隔离,徐缓的过失
It petrifies the will. These are the isolate, slow faults
足可置人于死,死,死。
That kill, that kill, that kill.


添加译本