榆树得一忘二 译

Elm西尔维娅·普拉斯(希薇亚·普拉斯)

给茹丝•芬莱特(1)
For Ruth Fainlight


我了解那底部,她说。我用粗大的直根了解它:
I know the bottom, she says. I know it with my great tap root.
它,是你所恐惧的。
It is what you fear.
我不怕它:我已去过。
I do not fear it: I have been there.

你在我深处听到的可是大海,
Is it the sea you hear in me,
以及它的不满?
Its dissatisfactions?
或是虚空之声,是你的疯狂?
Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?

爱是一个影子。
Love is a shadow.
你撒着谎,哭喊着穷追不舍。
How you lie and cry after it.
听啊:它的蹄声。它已经跑开,像一匹马。
Listen: these are its hooves: it has gone off, like a horse.

我也将彻夜这样奔腾,狂野地,
All night I shall gallop thus, impetuously,
直到你的头化为石头,枕头化为一方小小的赛马场,
Till your head is a stone, your pillow a little turf,
回响,回响。
Echoing, echoing.

或者,我应给你带来毒药的声音?
Or shall I bring you the sound of poisons?
它现在化作雨了,这巨大的静寂。
This is rain now, this big hush.
这就是它的果实:锡白色,像砒霜。
And this is the fruit of it: tin-white, like arsenic.

我已饱经日落的暴行。
I have suffered the atrocity of sunsets.
我红色的丝
Scorched to the root
烤焦到根部,燃烧,竖起,一只铁丝的手。
My red filaments burn and stand, a hand of wires.

现在,我断成碎片,棍棒似地飞散出去。
Now I break up in pieces that fly about like clubs.
如此暴力的风
A wind of such violence
不会容忍旁观:我必须尖叫。
Will tolerate no bystanding: I must shriek.

月亮也绝不仁慈:她会拖住我,
The moon, also, is merciless: she would drag me
残酷地,因为她不育。
Cruelly, being barren.
她的辐射灼伤了我。或许,是我不放过她。
Her radiance scathes me. Or perhaps I have caught her.

我放她走了。我放走了她,
I let her go. I let her go
萎缩了,干瘪了,像经过了彻底的手术。
Diminished and flat, as after radical surgery.
你的恶梦占有了我,也馈赠我。
How your bad dreams possess and endow me.

我被一种啼哭附了身。
I am inhabited by a cry.
它夜夜扑闪而出,
Nightly it flaps out
以它的钩爪,寻找值得一爱的东西。
Looking, with its hooks, for something to love.

这黑暗的东西睡在我的体内,
I am terrified by this dark thing
吓得我魂不附体;
That sleeps in me;
我整天都感到它轻柔的羽毛似的转动,它的恶毒。
All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.

云朵飘过,云朵疏散。
Clouds pass and disperse.
那些一去不回的苍白,都是爱的面孔吗?
Are those the faces of love, those pale irretrievables?
我心神不宁,是否因为这一切?
Is it for such I agitate my heart?

我无力承受更多知识。
I am incapable of more knowledge.
这是什么,这张充满杀机
What is this, this face
被树枝掐住的脸,是什么?──
So murderous in its strangle of branches?—

它毒蛇的酸液嘶嘶响。
Its snaky acids kiss.
它僵化着意志。这些孤立的、迟缓的缺陷
It petrifies the will. These are the isolate, slow faults
能够致命,致命,致命。
That kill, that kill, that kill.

注:
(1) 茹丝•芬莱特
1931 -出生于美国、主要居住在英国的女诗人、翻译家。她是英国小说家艾伦•斯里托的妻子,普拉斯生前最后一年多的好友。


添加译本