梵天灵石 译

Brahma拉尔夫·沃尔多·爱默生


若染血的杀人者以为杀的是别人,
If the red slayer think he slays,
若被杀者也以为被杀的是自己,
Or if the slain think he is slain,
他们都还未识得我的奥妙法门,
They know not well the subtle ways
我遵循,超越,又从反面开始。
I keep, and pass, and turn again.

遥远的,遗忘的,都在我身边,
Far or forgot to me is near;
阴影与阳光也没什么不同,
Shadow and sunlight are the same;
早已消失的神祗还会向我显现,
The vanished gods to me appear;
耻辱与声名我都纳入胸中。
And one to me are shame and fame.

那些忘记我的人只是一厢情愿,
They reckon ill who leave me out;
他们远翔时,我是他们的羽翼;
When me they fly, I am the wings;
我是怀疑者,也是怀疑的意念,
I am the doubter and the doubt,
我是僧侣们日夜不息的颂诗。
I am the hymn the Brahmin sings.

大神们终日觊觎着我的园庭,
The strong gods pine for my abode,
七圣徒也被无益的梦想折磨。
And pine in vain the sacred Seven;
可是你,谦卑的爱善的心灵,
But thou, meek lover of the good!
我为你备的礼物让天堂失色!
Find me, and turn thy back on heaven.


译注
1.梵天(Brahman)是印度教的最高神。
2.大神指印度教中的Indra(天空神)、Ani(火神)和Yama(死神)。
3.七圣徒指Maharshis,印度教中最高的圣徒。


1856
添加译本