辩护词灵石 译

THE APOLOGY拉尔夫·沃尔多·爱默生


不要以为我桀骜不驯,
Think me not unkind and rude
因我独自在山谷间游荡;
That I walk alone in grove and glen;
我是去拜谒森林之神,
I go to the god of the wood
把他的智慧向世人宣讲。
To fetch his word to men.

不要指责我懒散怠惰,
Tax not my sloth that I
因我终日只把溪水凝视;
Fold my arms beside the brook;
每一片云从空中飘过,
Each cloud that floated in the sky
都在我书里写下一个字。
Writes a letter in my book.

勤劳的人不要责备我,
Chide me not, laborious band,
因我只顾采撷闲适的花;
For the idle flowers I brought;
这手里的紫苑,每一朵
Every aster in my hand
都会装着一个思想回家。
Goes home loaded with a thought.

天地所有神秘的讯息
There was never mystery
都藏身于眼前花的形象;
But 'tis figured in the flowers;
古今所有隐秘的历史
Was never secret history
都被鸟儿在树荫里传唱。
But birds tell it in the bowers.

强壮的牛离开田野时,
One harvest from thy field
带给你的只是一种收获,
Homeward brought the oxen strong;
另一种庄稼留在原地,
A second crop thine acres yield,
我拾起它们,变成了歌。
Which I gather in a song.


1846
添加译本