Highlights and Interstices杰克·吉尔伯特

亮点与空隙柳向阳 译


We think of lifetimes as mostly the exceptional
我们以为漫长一生大多是例外
and sorrows. Marriage we remember as the children,
和悲伤。婚姻(我们想起的是孩子),
vacations, and emergencies. The uncommon parts.
假期,还有急事。不寻常的部分。
But the best is often when nothing is happening.
但最美好的,经常是无事发生时。
The way a mother picks up the child almost without
像一个母亲抱起孩子而几乎没有
noticing and carries her across Waller Street
注意,带着她穿过沃勒街,
while talking with the other woman. What if she
一边与其他女人聊天。将会怎样
could keep all of that? Our lives happen between
如果她能继续这样?我们的生活发生
the memorable. I have lost two thousand habitual
在难忘之事的间歇里。我已经失去二千次
breakfasts with Michiko. What I miss most about
和美智子惯常的早餐。我对她最怀念的
her is that commonplace I can no longer remember.
是我再也回忆不起来的那种平淡。


添加译本