写在一位年轻女士照相簿上的诗行黄杲炘 译

Lines On A Young Lady's Photograph Album菲利普·拉金(Philip Larkin)


一翻开你终于交出来的照相簿,
At last you yielded up the album, which
我就给弄糊涂了。厚厚的黑纸上,
Once open, sent me distracted. All your ages
是你各种年华粗糙和光洁的像!
Matt and glossy on the thick black pages!
太多的糖果蜜钱,但太丰富——
Too much confectionery, too rich:
这样有营养的形象咽得我喉咙呛。
I choke on such nutritious images.

我饥饿的服从这神态转到那姿势——
My swivel eye hungers from pose to pose —
梳小辫子的,抓着不情愿的猫的;
In pigtails, clutching a reluctant cat;
穿毛皮衣裳的,可爱的姑娘毕业了;
Or furred yourself, a sweet girl-graduate;
要不,在棚架下举起一支
Or lifting a heavy-headed rose
花朵儿硕大的玫瑰.再就是戴着
Beneath a trellis, or in a trilby-hat

软毡帽(在几方面这使人有点难平静)
(Faintly disturbing, that, in several ways) —
你从各个角度对我的自我控制冲击;
From every side you strike at my control,
而这些小伙子在你早先的日子里
Not least through those these disquieting chaps who loll
悠悠闲混,也颇叫我心神不宁。
At ease about your earlier days:
我说亲爱的,他们中大多够不上你。
Not quite your class, I'd say, dear, on the whole.

它同晾衣绳和豪尔胶面板两样,
But o, photography! as no art is,
一些美中不足的瑕疵它没法子掩饰,
Faithful and disappointing! that records

Dull days as dull, and hold-it smiles as frauds,
却显出那只猫儿心不甘、情不愿,
And will not censor blemishes
还分明地录下事实如此的双下巴,
Like washing-lines, and Hall's-Distemper boards,
你的率直就这样给那脸大添优雅!

这无可辩驳地说明了一点:
But shows a cat as disinclined, and shades
是在真的地方把这位真姑娘摄下,
A chin as doubled when it is, what grace

Your candour thus confers upon her face!
在每种意义上,经验证明这是真的!
How overwhelmingly persuades
要不,这只是过去?那些花、那扇门、
That this is a real girl in a real place,
那些雾萦蒙的停车场和汽车、只因

曝光过度变得很不像样了——
In every sense empirically true!
你过时的形象紧紧地捏着我的心。
Or is it just the past? Those flowers, that gate,

These misty parks and motors, lacerate
对呀,但说到底,我们决不是仅仅
Simply by being you; you
为给排除在外而悲伤,是因为我们
Contract my heart by looking out of date.
由此可自由地哭泣。我们知道单凭

过去并不能使我们的伤心
Yes, true; but in the end, surely, we cry
显得有理,也不管我们隔着眼睛
Not only at exclusion, but because

It leaves us free to cry. We know what was
和相片间的鸿沟狂喊。所以我只
Won't call on us to justify
落得不可能有结果地为你哀伤——
Our grief, however hard we yowl across
你倚着栅栏,平衡在一辆自行车上,

只落得奇怪,你可会发现这
The gap from eye to page. So I am left
偷摄你游泳时的镜头。总之,把以往
To mourn (without a chance of consequence)

You, balanced on a bike against a fence;
浓缩,而这以往如今没人能分享,
To wonder if you'd spot the theft
不管你的未来属于谁;这相册对你
Of this one of you bathing; to condense,
就好像天堂一样,既没风又没雨,

可爱的你在这里将永不走样,
In short, a past that no one now can share,
将随岁月的流逝变得更小、更明晰。
No matter whose your future; calm and dry,
It holds you like a heaven, and you lie
Unvariably lovely there,
Smaller and clearer as the years go by.


添加译本