When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
我老了的时候要穿紫色的衣服,
With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
配一顶既不搭衣服也不适合我的红帽子,
And I shall spend my pension
把我所有的养老金都用来买
on brandy and summer gloves
白兰地和防晒手套
And satin sandals,
还有绸缎凉鞋,
and say we've no money for butter.
然后说我们没钱买黄油了。
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
累了的时候,我要坐在人行道上,
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
我要在店里疯狂试吃
And run my stick along the public railings,
我要按警铃,
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
我要用我的拐杖划过公家的栅栏,
还要为我年轻时做人太正经找些借口。
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
我要穿拖鞋出门淋雨
And learn to spit.
摘别人家院子里的花,
还要学着吐口水。
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
你可以着丑到惊人的衫,也可以肆无忌惮地胖
Or only bread and pickle for a week,
还可以一次吃三斤香肠,
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
或者一周只吃面包和酸黄瓜,
and things in boxes.
囤好几箱钢笔、铅笔、啤酒杯垫
之类的东西。
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
可是现在我们只能穿干爽的衣服,
And set a good example for the children.
按时交租,不能在街上骂人,
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
要为孩子们树立好榜样。
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
我们得邀请朋友来家里吃饭,我们得读报。
但或许我应该现在就练习一下?
So people who know me
are not too shocked and surprised,
这样认识我的人
When suddenly I am old
到时候就不会太惊讶,
and start to wear purple!
当我突然老了
开始穿紫衣服的时候!