留在吉米·伦纳德小屋里的便条张文武 译

A Note Left in Jimmy Leonard’s Shack詹姆斯·赖特


在那条枯河的水标附近,我们发现了
Near the dry river’s water-mark we found
 你的兄弟米尼根,
      Your brother Minnegan,
他在泥泞的河底像一条鱼一样扑腾着。
Flopped like a fish against the muddy ground.
比尼,那满头黄发变成绿色的孩子,
Beany, the kid whose yellow hair turns green,
让我去找你,下雨了也要找到你,
Told me to find you, even in the rain,
 让我告诉你,他淹死了。
      And tell you he was drowned.

我躲在岸上的汽车底盘后面,
I hid behind the chassis on the bank,
 谁的福特汽车的残骸。
      The wreck of someone’s Ford:
我不敢过来叫醒喝醉的你,
I was afraid to come and wake you drunk:
你曾对我说过,被弄醒很难受,
You told me once the waking up was hard,
日光像一块木板一样砸着你。
The daylight beating at you like a board.
 我胃部的血液一沉。
      Blood in my stomach sank.

何况,你跟他说过绝对不要出门,
Beside, you told him never to go out
 不要沿着河边走,
      Along the river-side
不要边喝酒边唱歌,四处喧哗。
Drinking and singing, clattering about.
你估计要抱一块大石头砸我,并哭喊着
You might have thrown a rock at me and cried
说我真该死,让他在路上摔倒,
I was to blame, I let him fall in the road
 还栽到了旁边的河里。
      And pitch down on his side.

啊,我到家后一定会挨上一顿臭骂,
Well, I’ll get hell enough when I get home
 因为我这样冒冒失失地出现,
      For coming up this far,
留下纸条后就跟来时一样迅速跑开了。
Leaving the note, and running as I came.
我要去告诉我爸爸你在哪里。
I’ll go and tell my father where you are.
你最好在警察知道消息赶到之前,
You’d better go find Minnegan before
 去找米尼根。
      Policemen hear and come.

比尼回家了,我跑着,都快吐了,
Beany went home, and I got sick and ran,
 你这老不死的狗东西。
      You old son of a bitch.
你最好快点去下边找米尼根。
You better hurry down to Minnegan;
他喝醉了,可能快死了,我不知道那些
He’s drunk or dying now, I don’t know which,
在草根和垃圾堆里像鱼一样打滚的哪个是他,
Rolled in the roots and garbage like a fish,
 这可怜的老家伙。
      The poor old man.


添加译本