在出去自杀的路上,我碰到
When I went out to kill myself, I caught
一伙儿暴徒,他们正在痛打一个人。
A pack of hoodlums beating up a man.
我跑过去解除他的痛苦,我忘了
Running to spare his suffering, I forgot
我的名字,我的编号,我的日子是如何开始的,
My name, my number, how my day began,
士兵们又如何在花园的石柱旁转来转去,
How soldiers milled around the garden stone
并唱着打趣的歌;忘了那一整天,
And sang amusing songs; how all that day
他们的标枪是如何与众人周旋的;忘了我自己
Their javelins measured crowds; how I alone
是如何讨到一个合适的价码,然后溜走的。
Bargained the proper coins, and slipped away.
从天堂被放逐之后,我看到了这个被痛打的受害者。
Banished from heaven, I found this victim beaten,
剥光衣服,跪着,被丢在那里哭喊着。我把绳子
Stripped, kneed, and left to cry. Dropping my rope
扔到一边,跑过去,也不理会那些穿制服的人:
Aside, I ran, ignored the uniforms:
然后我想起我的肉体曾吞下的面包,
Then I remembered bread my flesh had eaten,
那曾啃噬我肉体的吻。在无望的谴责声中,
The kiss that ate my flesh. Flayed without hope,
我徒劳地把这个人搂在怀里。
I held the man for nothing in my arms.