离明尼苏达州去罗彻斯特的公路不远的地方,
Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
暮色在野草上轻柔地跳动。
Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
这两匹印第安马的眼睛
And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
也暗淡下来,充满温情。
Darken with kindness.
他们高兴地走出柳树林
They have come gladly out of the willows
前来欢迎我和我的朋友,
To welcome my friend and me.
我们越过铁丝网走进牧场
We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
马在那里孤独地放牧了一天。
Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
他们紧张地抖动身子,难以隐藏
They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
看到我们时心中的欣喜。
That we have come.
他们羞答答地垂首,像潮湿的天鹅。他们相爱。
They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
但是他们非常寂寞。
There is no loneliness like theirs.
当他们重新感到安适,
At home once more, they begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
在黑暗中嚼起春天的嫩草,
I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
我真想把那匹瘦小的马抱在怀里,
For she has walked over to me
因为她向我走来,
And nuzzled my left hand.
用鼻子拱我的左手。
She is black and white,
她毛色黑白相间
Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
鬃毛散乱地披在前额,
And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
轻风吹来,让我抚爱着她的长耳,
That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
皮肤柔软得像姑娘的手腕。
Suddenly I realize
在这时我明白了
That if I stepped out of my body I would break
如果我一步跨出我的身体,我将会
Into blossom.
开成一朵花。