我藏著我的尾巴西川

HIDING MY TAIL史春波, 乔治·奥康奈尔 译


我藏著我的尾巴,混跡於其他藏著尾巴的人們中間。
I hide my tail, hang out with others hiding theirs.
我俯下身來,以為會接近我的影子,但我的影子也俯下身來,擺出一副要逃跑的姿勢。
I bend over, thinking I’d approach my shadow, but my shadow bends too, hoping to flee.
喝一肚子涼水就能淹死全部的心裏話。
To drown all innermost thought, drink a bellyful of cold water.
走著,我攤開手,但我不祈求世間任何東西。但是,啊,有什麼東西會自動落入我的掌心?
Walking, I open my hands, praying for nothing in this world. But what might fall into my palms?
碎玻璃割破手指,不見蚊子飛來。
Fingers cut by broken glass, no mosquitoes in sight.
我練習雙眼,練得像鷹眼一樣銳利。終於可以看清一切,內心的無奈便無法逃避。
I train my gaze to be hawk sharp. At last I see everything clear, unable to escape my helpless heart.
如果你走得太近,我就用不上望遠鏡了。我的望遠鏡專為看你而準備,你應該僅僅待在遠方。
If you come too close, no need for binoculars. Mine are focused just for you, so keep your distance.
街上的花瓣,是否西施的碎指甲?
Are those petals in the street Xi Shi’s broken fingernails?
我幹過的蠢事別人再幹,我無法阻止。我自己再幹一遍,只是想顯示我詭計多端。
I can’t stop others from following my stupidities. If I repeat, it’s just to display my cunning.
既不能站在瘋子一邊對常人之惡束手無策,也不能站在常人一邊對瘋子之惡束手無策。
I can neither stand by the insane and do nothing about the evil of the average, nor stand by the average and do nothing about the evil of the insane.
聰明人趕在天黑以前用完一天的理智。
The clever hurry to use their wisdom before dark.
抬頭望月,我猛按車鈴,同時忍不住像馬一樣朝月亮噴出響鼻。月亮上真安靜。
Gazing at the moon, I frantically press my bike bell, snorting like a horse. The moon’s so tranquil.
星期二,吹熄的蠟燭上一縷青煙。
On Tuesday, blow out a strand of green smoke from a candle.
星期三,南方的蒼蠅打敗了北方的蒼蠅。
On Wednesday, flies from the south defeat flies from the north.
我用汽車尾氣招待聚會的老鼠。牠們心滿意足,一致同意:世界真該死,而牠們不該死。
I offer the gathering mice car exhaust. They remain content, agreeing the world should die, but not themselves.
別嚇唬人,去嚇唬不是人的人吧,他們需要被嚇唬,就像他們需要被討好。
Don’t scare people, scare only those who call themselves people but really aren’t. They need to be frightened, just as they need to be pleased.
我用硬幣在你的皮膚上壓出圖案。
I press a coin’s pattern into your skin.
你計算天空的重量。玩一玩,行。你若認真,我就只好把你掐死。
You calculate the sky’s weight. Fine to play around. If you get serious, I’ll have no choice but to strangle you.
夜晚的遊蕩者,我們避免相識。
Wanderers of night, we should not meet.


添加译本