青青河畔草,綿綿思遠道。
The riverside grass verdant
遠道不可思,宿昔夢見之。
Extends unendingly far away.
夢見在我傍,忽覺在他鄉。
I shouldn't yearn for a far-off man,
他鄉各異縣,展轉不相見。
Yet I dreamed of him in the night.
枯桑知天風,海水知天寒,
I dreamed about him by my side,
入門各自媚,誰肯相為言!
Then woke to find him still away,
Away in various distant places,
客從遠方來,遺我雙鯉魚。
Tossing about out of my sight.
呼兒烹鯉魚,中有尺素書。
A leafless tree can feel the wind,
長跪讀素書,書中竟何如:
An unfrozen sea can feel the cold;
上言加餐食,下言長相憶。
Warmly greeted by their families,
Would one of them tell me his news?
A traveler from afar arrives
And brings me a carp-shaped case.
I tell my boy to break the carps
And a silk letter in them we find.
Then I kneel with my back erect
To read what the message says:
‘Eat well & take care of your health,
I've been missing you all the time. ’