When morning came
清晨来临
I rose and made tea
我起床,泡了茶
and sent off my brother.
打发我的兄弟离开。
In the quiet house
在安静的房子里
I sat down to wait.
我坐下来等待。
The day knocked on my door
白昼敲响了我的门
with its sack of wares. The evening
带着一袋货物。黄昏
looked in my window
瞥了一眼我的窗户
with its inconsolable gray eyes
用它那无法安慰的灰色眼睛。
On the table the lamp was lit.
桌上的灯点亮了。
My brother came home then,
我的兄弟回来了,
white dust on his shoes
白色的尘土粘在他的鞋上,
and a tiny blue fower in his cap.
一朵蓝色的小花在他的帽子里,
weary
精疲力尽
as if he'd danced a long time
仿佛跳了很久的舞
or met a girl in the felds.
或者在田野遇见一个女孩。
When I touched his sleeve
我碰到了他的衣袖
my fingers brought away
我的手指带走了
a fragrance of mint and grass.
一股薄荷和草的香味。
Now my brother wants sleep
现在我的兄弟想要睡了,
and moons foolishly at my bed.
傻傻地呆视着我的床。
What I want
我想要的
is to wash his feet
就是洗他的脚,
and send him off again, tomorrow,
明天再打发他离开,
with a stone in each shoe
每只鞋里都放一块石头,
and one for each hand
每只手上都放一块石头,
and no bread in his pocket.
口袋里却不放面包。