When Death Comes玛丽·奥利弗

当死神降临呐石 译


When death comes
当死神降临
like the hungry bear in autumn;
好似秋天里饥饿的熊;
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse
当死神降临,倾尽他钱包里闪亮的硬币

to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
来收买我,然后啪的一声合上钱包;
when death comes
当死神降临
like the measle-pox
好似麻疹水痘

when death comes
当死神降临
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,
好似肩胛骨之间的一座冰山,

I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
我想穿过那道门,满是好奇,寻思:
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?
它会是什么样子,那黑暗的小屋?

And therefore I look upon everything
因此我把一切视为
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
兄弟姐妹,
and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
我把时间只是视作一个概念,
and I consider eternity as another possibility,
我认为永恒是另一种可能,

and I think of each life as a flower, as common
我把每个生命看作一朵花,普通得
as a field daisy, and as singular,
如同一朵野雏菊,又那么独特,

and each name a comfortable music in the mouth,
每个名字都是一首舒适的音乐,
tending, as all music does, toward silence,
如同所有的音乐一样趋于寂静,

and each body a lion of courage, and something
每个身体都是无畏的狮子,也是大地上
precious to the earth.
弥足珍贵的东西。

When it's over, I want to say all my life
当一切终了,我想说,这一生
I was a bride married to amazement.
我是钟情于惊奇的新娘。
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.
我是把世界拥入怀抱的新郎。

When it's over, I don't want to wonder
当一切终了,我不想纠结于
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
我的生命是否特别而真实。

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
我不想看到自己叹息和恐惧,
or full of argument.
或者据理力争。

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.
我不想只是来过这个世界。


添加译本