When death comes
当死亡到来
like the hungry bear in autumn;
像秋天里饥饿的熊;
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse
当死亡到来,拿出他钱包里所有明晃晃的硬币
to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
收买我,啪地合上钱包,
when death comes
当死亡到来
like the measle-pox
像麻诊痘,
when death comes
当死亡到来
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,
像肩胛之间的冰山,
I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
我想跨过门,充满好奇地想着
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?
将会是什么样子,那黑暗小屋?
And therefore I look upon everything
因此,我看万物
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
犹如兄弟姐妹,
and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
我看时间——不过一念,
and I consider eternity as another possibility,
我把永恒看作另一种可能,
and I think of each life as a flower, as common
我把每个生命看作一朵花,平常
as a field daisy, and as singular,
如一朵野地的雏菊,惟一,
and each name a comfortable music in the mouth,
把每个名字看作口中令人舒畅的音乐,
tending, as all music does, toward silence,
如同所有的音乐,倾向寂静,
and each body a lion of courage, and something
把每个身体看作一头勇敢的狮子,大地
precious to the earth.
珍爱的某种事物。
When it's over, I want to say all my life
当它结束,我想说:整个一生
I was a bride married to amazement.
我都是一个嫁给了“惊奇” 的新娘。
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.
都是那个新郎,把世界揽入怀中。
When it's over, I don't want to wonder
到结束时,我不想疑惑
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
我是否度过了特别、真实的一生。
我不想看自己叹息,恐惧,
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
或是充满争辩。
or full of argument.
我不想只是在这个世界上走了一遭,就结束。
I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.