致一个蒸汽压路机倪志娟 译

To a Steam Roller玛丽安·摩尔


如果不被使用,
The illustration
说明对你毫无意义。 
is nothing to you without the application.
你没有一丁点儿幽默。你将所有的颗粒
You lack half wit. You crush all the particles down
压成整块,然后在上面走来走去。
into close conformity, and then walk back and forth on them.

闪闪发光的岩石碎片 
Sparkling chips of rock
被压成平滑的基石。
are crushed down to the level of the parent block.
如果不是因为“审美中的客观
Were not "impersonal judment in aesthetic
判断,是一种形而上学的不可能”,你
matters, a metaphysical impossibility," you

应该很好地完成了
might fairly achieve
它。至于蝴蝶,我几乎难以想象
it. As for butterflies, I can hardly conceive
有人会留意你,但是,这不起眼的补充物
of one"s attending upon you, but to question
即使存在着,去质疑它是否合宜,也是徒劳的。
the congruence of the complement is vain, if it exists.


添加译本