A miniature madtalent? Sylvia Plath,
一个微缩的疯天才?西尔维娅·普拉斯,
who'll wipe off the spit of your integrity,
谁会抹去你的操守吐出的痰,
rising in the saddle to slash at Auschwitz,
从马鞍里升起,对着奥斯维辛猛砍,
life tearing this or that, I am a woman?
生活撕裂着这个那个,我是个女人?
Who'll lay the graduate girl in marriage,
谁在婚姻里会睡一个女研究生,
queen bee, naked, unqueenly, shaming her shame?
蜂后,赤裸、没有女王范儿,羞辱其羞耻?
Each English major saying, "I am Sylvia,
每个英语专业学生都声称“我便是西尔维娅,
I hate marriage, I must hate babies."
我憎恶婚姻,我必须憎恨小孩。”
Even men have a horror of giving birth,
甚至男人也都有生小孩的恐惧,
mother-sized babies splitting us in half,
妈妈级尺寸的婴儿将我们一劈两开,
sixty thousand American infants a year,
每年,美国就有六万婴儿,U.I.D.了,
U.I.D., Unexplained Infant Deaths,
无法解释的婴儿死,他们出生时
born physically whole and hearty, refuse to live,
体格完好、血气旺盛,可就是拒绝活下去,
Sylvia...the expanding torrent of your attack.
西尔维娅……你的攻击是日渐扩张的洪涛。