You don’t have to wave your country’s flag;
你不必挥舞国旗,
Nor do you have to boast and brag
也不必自吹自擂
That yours is the best country on earth—
说你的国家是地球上最好的——
Whether or not it’s the land of your birth—
无论是不是它都是你出生的土地——
To be a patriot.
做个爱国者吧。
There’s no need to brandish your weapons to show
不必靠挥舞武器来表明
That you have your rights that you’ll never forgo;
你有你永远不会放弃的权利;
Nor do you have to copy the ones
也不必模仿有些人
Who feel the need for an arsenal of guns
他们觉得要有一库房的枪械
To be a patriot.
才能做个爱国者。
You don’t have to heed everything you are told,
你不必听从别人告诉你的一切,
Fear seeking truths that your leaders withhold,
不必害怕寻求领袖们所隐瞒的真相,
Or forget that in your laws there’s a reason
或者忘记你们的法律里有理由说
That public dissent’s not the same thing as treason
公开反对不等于叛国
To be a patriot.
做个爱国者吧。
You don’t have to feel that the government is right
你不必觉得政府
To force young men and women to fight
强迫青年男女去打仗,
In wars that profit the War Machine--
为战争机器谋利是正确的
And which you in your heart know are obscene--
你也心知肚明这些战争是下流的——
To be a patriot.
做个爱国者吧。
There’s no need to always bewail and prate
不必对教堂与州县的各种分裂
On the separation of church and state
总是哀叹和喋喋不休
Or let the troublemakers upset you
也不必因捣乱分子说
By saying the government’s out to get you
政府要来对付你而愤慨
To prove you’re a patriot.
以此证明自己是爱国者。
But caring about the poor and the needy;
但要关心穷人和需要帮助的人;
Wanting to have, without being greedy;
想要去拥有,却绝不贪婪;
Feeling concern for the rights of ALL;
关心所有人的权利;
And helping others up when they fall:
当别人跌倒时,帮助他们站起来:
That's being a patriot!
这才是爱国者!