It was the way summer hunted me:
夏天就是这样猎杀我的:
a sequence of instructions
一系列的指令
in the folds of a flower.
藏在花的褶皱中。
How do I explain the hatred of the sun,
我怎么解释太阳的仇恨。
the terrible wonder of being alive?
活着的可怕奇迹?
Fuck the fucking birds. I looked
去他妈的鸟。我望向
to the sky to join the storms. I couldn’t
天空,想要加入风暴。我想象不到
have imagined you, swift as the lightning
你,迅如闪电
I traced with my finger, a song scratched
我用手指划出一首歌的痕迹
into a back. I ached with the not-knowing.
变成一个背影。我为不知道而痛心。
On Mother’s Day I knelt and begged
在母亲节那天,我跪下来祈求
for something to help me. Is that God?
能够帮助我的东西。那是上帝吗?
I played “Here Comes the Sun”
我在精神病院
in the psych ward and everyone
演奏《太阳来了》,大家
watched as I shook. This
看着我摇头:这个
is not true, I said. The sun
不是真的,我说。太阳
is already here. Hope was slight
早就在这里了。希望轻微得
as an eyelash. How clean the sky—
如同一根睫毛。天空多么干净
a cloud that posed as a spine.
一朵冒充脊梁的云。
There was no container
没有容器
for my despair. In your face I saw
装得下我的绝望。在你的脸上,我看到
a sequence of instructions.
一系列指令。
When you touched me, I named
你碰我的时候,我说出了
the future: Be here. Stay living.
未来的名字:就在此地。保持活着。
I was running once. Did I tell you
我曾经跑过一次。我告诉过你吗,
how I wept like that? I saw a fox—
我怎么会哭成那样?我看到一只狐狸——
my life bound into tricks. The past
我的生活被一个个小把戏捆绑。过去
is the past is the past. An idea grown
就是过去就是过去。一个想法冒出来
in the name of the obvious. How
以显而易见的名义。爱人
a beloved becomes a stranger
如何形同陌路,
and a stranger becomes a beloved.
陌生人又如何成了爱人。
I can hate what is true, the thick beauty
我可以讨厌真实的东西,厚重的
of it. I am always in the school of the dead:
美。我总是属于死去的那些:
a bracket, an aside, a reordering.
一个括号,一段旁白,一次重新排序。
I tell you language is always a failure,
我告诉你,语言总是失败的。
a string waiting to be plucked. A song
一根等待拨动的弦。一首歌
you love and cannot resolve.
你爱它却不能理解。
What’s the difference between
断裂和狂喜
rupture and rapture? Not even salt.
有什么区别?没区别。