I know the bottom, she says. I know it with my great tap root.
我知道底部,她说。我用巨大的主根探知:
It is what you fear.
这正是你所畏惧的。
I do not fear it: I have been there.
但我并不怕:我曾到过那里。
Is it the sea you hear in me,
你从我身上听到的可是海声,
Its dissatisfactions?
它的不满?
Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?
或者是空无的声音,那是你的疯狂?
Love is a shadow.
爱是一抹阴影。
How you lie and cry after it.
你在它的背后躺卧呼喊。
Listen: these are its hooves: it has gone off, like a horse.
听:这是蹄音:它远离了,像一匹马。
All night I shall gallop thus, impetuously,
整个晚上我将如是奔驰,狂烈地,
Till your head is a stone, your pillow a little turf,
直把你的头跑成石块,你的枕成一方小小的赛马场,
Echoing, echoing.
回响,回响。
Or shall I bring you the sound of poisons?
或者要我带给你毒药的响声?
This is rain now, this big hush.
下雨了,这硕大的寂静。
And this is the fruit of it: tin-white, like arsenic.
而这是它的果实:锡白,如砷。
I have suffered the atrocity of sunsets.
我饱尝落日的暴行。
Scorched to the root
焦灼直达根部
My red filaments burn and stand, a hand of wires.
我红色的灯丝烧断而仍坚持着,一团铁丝。
Now I break up in pieces that fly about like clubs.
现在我分解成碎片,棍棒般四处飞散。
A wind of such violence
如此猛烈的狂风
Will tolerate no bystanding: I must shriek.
绝不能忍受他人的旁观;我得嘶喊。
The moon, also, is merciless: she would drag me
月亮也同样的无情:总是残酷地
Cruelly, being barren.
拖曳着我,我已不能生育。
Her radiance scathes me. Or perhaps I have caught her.
她的强光刺伤了我。或许是我绊住了她。
I let her go. I let her go
我放她走。我放她走。
Diminished and flat, as after radical surgery.
萎缩而扁平,像经历了剧烈的手术。
How your bad dreams possess and endow me.
你的恶梦如是地攫取占有我。
I am inhabited by a cry.
哭喊在我身上定居。
Nightly it flaps out
每晚鼓翼而出
Looking, with its hooks, for something to love.
用它的钓钩,去寻找值得爱的事物。
I am terrified by this dark thing
我被这黑暗的东西吓坏了
That sleeps in me;
它就躺在我的体内。
All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.
我整天都能感觉到它轻柔如羽的翻动,它的憎恶。
Clouds pass and disperse.
云朵飘散而过。
Are those the faces of love, those pale irretrievables?
那些是爱的面庞吗,那些苍白、不可复得的?
Is it for such I agitate my heart?
我就是因为这些而乱了心绪吗?
I am incapable of more knowledge.
我无法进一步知晓。
What is this, this face
这是什么,这张脸
So murderous in its strangle of branches?—
如是凶残地扼杀枝干?──
Its snaky acids kiss.
它蛇阴的酸液嘶嘶作响。
It petrifies the will. These are the isolate, slow faults
麻木了意志。这些是隔离,徐缓的过失
That kill, that kill, that kill.
足可置人于死,死,死。