I know the bottom, she says. I know it with my great tap root.
我了解那底部,她说。我用粗大的直根了解它:
It is what you fear.
它,是你所恐惧的。
I do not fear it: I have been there.
我不怕它:我已去过。
Is it the sea you hear in me,
你在我深处听到的可是大海,
Its dissatisfactions?
以及它的不满?
Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?
或是虚空之声,是你的疯狂?
Love is a shadow.
爱是一个影子。
How you lie and cry after it.
你撒着谎,哭喊着穷追不舍。
Listen: these are its hooves: it has gone off, like a horse.
听啊:它的蹄声。它已经跑开,像一匹马。
All night I shall gallop thus, impetuously,
我也将彻夜这样奔腾,狂野地,
Till your head is a stone, your pillow a little turf,
直到你的头化为石头,枕头化为一方小小的赛马场,
Echoing, echoing.
回响,回响。
Or shall I bring you the sound of poisons?
或者,我应给你带来毒药的声音?
This is rain now, this big hush.
它现在化作雨了,这巨大的静寂。
And this is the fruit of it: tin-white, like arsenic.
这就是它的果实:锡白色,像砒霜。
I have suffered the atrocity of sunsets.
我已饱经日落的暴行。
Scorched to the root
我红色的丝
My red filaments burn and stand, a hand of wires.
烤焦到根部,燃烧,竖起,一只铁丝的手。
Now I break up in pieces that fly about like clubs.
现在,我断成碎片,棍棒似地飞散出去。
A wind of such violence
如此暴力的风
Will tolerate no bystanding: I must shriek.
不会容忍旁观:我必须尖叫。
The moon, also, is merciless: she would drag me
月亮也绝不仁慈:她会拖住我,
Cruelly, being barren.
残酷地,因为她不育。
Her radiance scathes me. Or perhaps I have caught her.
她的辐射灼伤了我。或许,是我不放过她。
I let her go. I let her go
我放她走了。我放走了她,
Diminished and flat, as after radical surgery.
萎缩了,干瘪了,像经过了彻底的手术。
How your bad dreams possess and endow me.
你的恶梦占有了我,也馈赠我。
I am inhabited by a cry.
我被一种啼哭附了身。
Nightly it flaps out
它夜夜扑闪而出,
Looking, with its hooks, for something to love.
以它的钩爪,寻找值得一爱的东西。
I am terrified by this dark thing
这黑暗的东西睡在我的体内,
That sleeps in me;
吓得我魂不附体;
All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.
我整天都感到它轻柔的羽毛似的转动,它的恶毒。
Clouds pass and disperse.
云朵飘过,云朵疏散。
Are those the faces of love, those pale irretrievables?
那些一去不回的苍白,都是爱的面孔吗?
Is it for such I agitate my heart?
我心神不宁,是否因为这一切?
I am incapable of more knowledge.
我无力承受更多知识。
What is this, this face
这是什么,这张充满杀机
So murderous in its strangle of branches?—
被树枝掐住的脸,是什么?──
Its snaky acids kiss.
它毒蛇的酸液嘶嘶响。
It petrifies the will. These are the isolate, slow faults
它僵化着意志。这些孤立的、迟缓的缺陷
That kill, that kill, that kill.
能够致命,致命,致命。
注:
(1) 茹丝•芬莱特
1931 -出生于美国、主要居住在英国的女诗人、翻译家。她是英国小说家艾伦•斯里托的妻子,普拉斯生前最后一年多的好友。