I know the bottom, she says. I know it with my great tap root.
我知根知底,她说。我以我庞大的主根了解它:
It is what you fear.
它是你畏惧之物。
I do not fear it: I have been there.
我不怕它:我去过那儿。
Is it the sea you hear in me,
你在我体内听到的可是海?
Its dissatisfactions?
海的不满?
Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?
抑或是那虚无之声,你的疯狂?
Love is a shadow.
爱情是一片影子。
How you lie and cry after it.
你如何为它撒谎,苦苦哀泣
Listen: these are its hooves: it has gone off, like a horse.
听着,这是它的蹄印:它已远去,恰似马驹。
All night I shall gallop thus, impetuously,
我将整夜莽莽撞撞,飞驰如许,
Till your head is a stone, your pillow a little turf,
直至你的头颅变作石块,枕头变作小草皮,
Echoing, echoing.
荡起回音,回音。
Or shall I bring you the sound of poisons?
或者我该为你捎来毒药的声音?
This is rain now, this big hush.
现在,落雨了,这大片的静谧。
And this is the fruit of it: tin-white, like arsenic.
而这就是它的果实:银色如锡,如砒霜。
I have suffered the atrocity of sunsets.
我忍受了落日的残忍。
Scorched to the root
灼焦至根部
My red filaments burn and stand, a hand of wires.
我的赤色纤维燃烧、竖立,一束电线丝。
Now I break up in pieces that fly about like clubs.
现在,我崩解成碎片,飞散如棍棒。
A wind of such violence
一阵如此暴烈的风
Will tolerate no bystanding: I must shriek.
不会容忍袖手旁观:我必须尖叫。
The moon, also, is merciless: she would drag me
月亮也无恻隐心:她将残忍地
Cruelly, being barren.
拖走不孕的我。
Her radiance scathes me. Or perhaps I have caught her.
她的光明割伤了我。或许是我撞上了她。
I let her go. I let her go
我让她走。我让她走
Diminished and flat, as after radical surgery.
缺月扁平,如同做了放疗。
How your bad dreams possess and endow me.
你的噩梦是如何占有我,资助我。
I am inhabited by a cry.
一声尖喊住进我的身体。
Nightly it flaps out
它夜夜振翅欲飞
Looking, with its hooks, for something to love.
用钩子索寻能够爱的事物。
I am terrified by this dark thing
我被睡在我体内的这种
That sleeps in me;
晦暗之物吓坏了;
All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.
一整天,我感受着它柔软的羽质的翻转,它的恶意。
Clouds pass and disperse.
云过云散。
Are those the faces of love, those pale irretrievables?
那些是爱情的面容吗?那些苍白的一去不返之物?
Is it for such I agitate my heart?
我可是为此而心焦?
I am incapable of more knowledge.
更多的知识我无能为力。
What is this, this face
这是什么,这张脸
So murderous in its strangle of branches?—
在它枝条的扭绞中如此杀气腾腾?——
Its snaky acids kiss.
它的蛇酸嘶嘶作响。
It petrifies the will. These are the isolate, slow faults
它把意志石化。这些是孤绝、徐缓的讹误
That kill, that kill, that kill.
它们杀,杀,杀。