A noiseless patient spider,
一只沉默而耐心的蜘蛛,
I marked where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
我注意它孤立地站在小小的海岬上.
Marked how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
注意它怎样勘测周围的茫茫空虚,
It launched forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
它射出了丝,丝,丝,从它自己之小,
Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.
不断地从纱绽放丝,不倦地加快速率。
And you O my soul where you stand,
而你——我的心灵啊,你站在何处,
Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
被包围被孤立在无限空间的海洋里,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
不停地沉思、探险、投射、寻求可以连结的地方,
Till the bridge you will need be formed, till the ductile anchor hold,
直到架起你需要的桥,直到下定你韧性的锚,
Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.
直到你抛出的游丝抓住了某处,我的心灵啊!