ON A GOLDFINCH STARVED TO DEATH IN HIS CAGE威廉·古柏

咏一只饿死在笼中的金翅雀金雯,  赵少阳 译


Time was when I was free as air,
当我像风一样自由的时候,
The thistle's downy seed my fare,
野蓟毛茸茸的种子是我的餐食,
My drink the morning dew;
我的饮料是清晨的露水;
I perch'd at will on every spray,
我任意栖在一根小枝上,
My form genteel, my plumage gay,
我绅士的风度,我亮丽的羽毛,
My strains for ever new.
我的旋律永远是新的。

But gaudy plumage, sprightly strain,
但艳丽的羽毛,轻快的旋律,
And form genteel were all in vain,
还有绅士的风度都是虚幻,
And of a transient date;
如同过眼云烟,
For, caught and caged, and starved to death,
被抓住,被囚禁,饿死,
In dying sighs my little breath
我垂死的叹息
Soon pass'd the wiry grate.
孱弱地传过铁丝栅栏。

Thanks, gentle swain, for all my woes,
谢谢,温柔的小伙,我所有的哀愁,
And thanks for this effectual close
谢谢这有效的禁闭,
And cure of every ill!
还有对一切忧患的隔绝!
More cruelty could none express;
不会有人能够更加残忍。
And I, if you had shown me less,
我,但凡你表现得再少一点,
Had been your prisoner still.
还会是你笼中的囚徒。


1780
1780
添加译本