Think me not unkind and rude
不要以为我桀骜不驯,
That I walk alone in grove and glen;
因我独自在山谷间游荡;
I go to the god of the wood
我是去拜谒森林之神,
To fetch his word to men.
把他的智慧向世人宣讲。
Tax not my sloth that I
不要指责我懒散怠惰,
Fold my arms beside the brook;
因我终日只把溪水凝视;
Each cloud that floated in the sky
每一片云从空中飘过,
Writes a letter in my book.
都在我书里写下一个字。
Chide me not, laborious band,
勤劳的人不要责备我,
For the idle flowers I brought;
因我只顾采撷闲适的花;
Every aster in my hand
这手里的紫苑,每一朵
Goes home loaded with a thought.
都会装着一个思想回家。
There was never mystery
天地所有神秘的讯息
But 'tis figured in the flowers;
都藏身于眼前花的形象;
Was never secret history
古今所有隐秘的历史
But birds tell it in the bowers.
都被鸟儿在树荫里传唱。
One harvest from thy field
强壮的牛离开田野时,
Homeward brought the oxen strong;
带给你的只是一种收获,
A second crop thine acres yield,
另一种庄稼留在原地,
Which I gather in a song.
我拾起它们,变成了歌。