Late December: my father and I
十二月下旬;我爸爸和我
are going to New York, to the circus.
前往纽约,去马戏团。
He holds me
他举着我
on his shoulders in the bitter wind:
在他肩膀上在刺骨的风中:
scraps of white paper
白纸碎片
blow over the railroad ties.
吹上铁路线
My father liked
我爸爸喜欢
to stand like this, to hold me
象这样站着,举起我
so he couldn't see me.
所以他看不见我。
I remember
我记得直视前方
staring straight ahead
进入我爸爸看见的世界;
into the world my father saw;
我学会
I was learning
承受它的空虚,
to absorb its emptiness,
大雪不落,
the heavy snow
在我们周围旋转。
not falling, whirling around us.