I was only a young man
那时,我还是
In those days. On that evening
一个年轻人。那天晚上,
The cold was so God damned
天气寒冷刺骨,
Bitter there was nothing.
四处空荡荡的。
Nothing. I was in trouble
空无一物。我跟一个女人
With a woman, and there was nothing
产生了一点儿麻烦。周围空无一物,
There but me and dead snow.
只有我,和沉寂的雪。
I stood on the street corner
我站在街角,被风雪
In Minneapolis, lashed
肆意扫荡的
This way and that.
明尼阿波利斯的街角。
Wind rose from some pit,
风从某个坑洞里升起来,
Hunting me.
追赶着我。
Another bus to Saint Paul
下一辆去往圣保罗的汽车,
Would arrive in three hours,
将在三小时之内抵达,
If I was lucky.
如果我幸运的话。
Then the young Sioux
后来,那个年轻的苏族人*
Loomed beside me, his scars
出现在我身边。他有着我这个年龄
Were just my age.
才会有的伤疤。
Ain't got no bus here
这里将很久都不会
A long time, he said.
再来汽车了,他说。
You got enough money
你有足够的钱
To get home on?
回家吗?
What did they do
他们把你的手
To your hand? I answered.
怎么了?我反问他。
He raised up his hook into the terrible starlight
他把钩子举起来,伸进那可怖的星光,
And slashed the wind.
在风中挥舞了一下。
Oh, that? he said.
喔,那个呀?他说。
I had a bad time with a woman. Here,
我曾经和一个女人度过了一段糟糕的时光。喏,
You take this.
拿着这个。
Did you ever feel a man hold
你曾有过这种体验吗:一个人
Sixty-five cents
用一只钩子
In a hook,
拿着65美分,
And place it
然后
Gently
轻轻地
In your freezing hand?
将它放在你冰冷的手中?
I took it.
我接了钱。
It wasn't the money I needed.
我并不需要这点钱。
But I took it.
但是我接下了它。
译注
*苏族人,居住于北美的一支印第安人。