华盛顿动物园中的妇女韦白 译

The Woman at the Washington Zoo兰德尔·贾雷尔


来自大使馆的身着印度纱丽的妇女经过我身旁。
The saris go by me from the embassies.
从月亮上取来的衣服。从另一个星球上取来的衣服。

她们像豹一样回转头来看豹。
Cloth from the moon. Cloth from another planet.

They look back at the leopard like the leopard.
而我……

我的印花布服装,在这么多次的清洗后
And I....
依然生动地保持住它的颜色;这沉闷的、过期了的
               this print of mine, that has kept its color
海军服,我穿着它上班,下班,乃至
Alive through so many cleanings; this dull null
上床,进坟墓,没有
Navy I wear to work, and wear from work, and so
抱怨,没有评价:没有来自于我的长官的,
To my bed, so to my grave, with no
副长官助手的,也没有来自于他的长官的——
Complaints, no comment: neither from my chief,
只有我抱怨……这耐用的
The Deputy Chief Assistant, nor his chief—
肉体没有阳光照射,两手空空
Only I complain.... this serviceable
只有,圆屋顶上的阴影,枯萎在圆柱间,
Body that no sunlight dyes, no hand suffuses
在泉水的波动之下——小小的,远远的,闪耀
But, dome-shadowed, withering among columns,
在动物的眼睛里,这些生物被捕获
Wavy beneath fountains—small, far-off, shining
一如我被捕获可是还不一样,它们自己,陷阱,
In the eyes of animals, these beings trapped
岁月,然而它们没有它们年龄的概念,
As I am trapped but not, themselves, the trap,
安稳地活在那儿,不知道死亡,因为死亡——
Aging, but without knowledge of their age,
哦,我肉体的栅栏,打开,打开吧!
Kept safe here, knowing not of death, for death—

Oh, bars of my own body, open, open!
世界从我的笼子边走过从来不看我。

它不是朝着我而来,就像朝着
The world goes by my cage and never sees me.
这些野兽,啄着骆驼饲料的麻雀,
And there come not to me, as come to these,
在熊的食物上栖居的鸽子,雕
The wild beasts, sparrows pecking the llamas’ grain,
撕扯着落满黑云般苍蝇的肉……
Pigeons settling on the bears’ bread, buzzards
秃鹰,
Tearing the meat the flies have clouded....
当你为了狐狸留下的白鼠而来,
                                                                Vulture,
摘下头上的红色头盔,那黑色的
When you come for the white rat that the foxes left,
翼遮住了我,像人一样走过我:
Take off the red helmet of your head, the black
这野性的兄弟,在它们的脚下白狼摇尾,
Wings that have shadowed me, and step to me as man:
巨大的母狮朝着它们有力的手
The wild brother at whose feet the white wolves fawn,
潜行,不停地低哼……
To whose hand of power the great lioness
你知道我是什么,
Stalks, purring....
你看见了我是什么:改变我,改变我吧!
                              You know what I was,
You see what I am: change me, change me!


添加译本